Thursday, February 3, 2011

Southekayi Sasive/Cucumber Sasive

I would like to tell small story before I dig into actual recipe. As I said in my earlier posts I am a great great great fan of Ina Garten and her recipes. Few days back while watching her show  I was surprised to see "Chilled Cucumber Soup"  recipe. It was very similar to our sasive. She used ground mustard paste and yogurt  in the recipe and she blend everything in food processor and served chilled. I was just wondering it might be tasted similar to our sasive.


After that I have started thinking that,there may resemblance  with other Western recipes. Well That's my guessing so going forward  I have to see if its correct or not.


Coming back to Southekayi Sasive, its very soothing and good for summer season.
For this,


You Need To Have:


1 large  cucumber
1 cup freshly churned buttermilk
1/4 fresh grated coconut
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1-2 green chilies
salt to taste
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2-3 curry leaves
Aseofotida
Method:


Chop cucumber as  finely as possible.(my be food processor can be used ).

Grind grated coconut,green chillies and mustard seeds to paste.Add this paste,salt and churned buttermilk to chopped cucumber.


 Heat oil in tadka pan and add cumin seeds to it.(As we have already added mustard seeds while grinding better not to add it for tampering. as it could increase bitterness).  Add curry leaves and Asofotida. mix it to cucumber sasive
Serve with rice along with sambar or rasam.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...